The Graduate

The Graduate
Must See film No. 1!

Welcome to my exciting new film blog!

Hello friends and film lovers
After hundreds and hundreds of films over the past 3 decades and much film banter, critique and recommendations, I thought it was about time I started this blog. I will start to list my 'must see films' as well as blog reviews from any film I see from here on. I look forward to your being part of my blog community, your comments and feedback on all things FILM!

Monday, January 18, 2010

District 9


WOW, loved this one. Peter Jackson produced it (King Kong, Lord of Rings) and you can feel his artistry during this epic experience. It's set in Jo-berg so you've got alot of aparthied storyline stuff going on with these 'prawn' aliens who are stranded on planet earth. District is not for the faint hearted (tho I've seen much gorier films) and you defintely wanna see it on a BIG screen with good sound to get right into it. Clever usage of documentary style filming and interviews up front before things get hairy, this film packs a punch and the main guy is really, really good. He goes through such a full on journey during this film, and as anti-hero, you end up rooting for him despite an ever increasing sense of dread on his behalf. I kept asking Kman - who'd already seen it - whether this or that was about to happen, I couldn't stand the suspense! And a few times I had to close my eyes or grab onto him cos I was so freaked out. But in a good way! I love a good freak out. So that gets this film 2, the effects get 1, and the main guy gets 1 for being so believable. A whopping 4/5!

2 comments:

  1. Saw it last week and loved it too. Unfortunately didn't have Kman to get me through the scary parts. Hoping for a Squeakquel - well i'm sure the prawns will be making lots of horrifying noises

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an awesome movie.

    If it doesn’t get a whole bunch of Oscar nominations and a few Oscars to take home, a Royal Commission should be set up to investigate.

    Brilliantly put together on a relatively shoestring budget, with seamless ‘prawn’ graphics (CGI or something else…?) , superb acting but a predominantly South African cast (quite something given that South Africa is not at all known for producing great actors….just try and name 5…go on try…!) and one hell of a story line that leaves you thinking.

    I’d go 5/5 myself and I don’t go there much!

    ReplyDelete