The Graduate

The Graduate
Must See film No. 1!

Welcome to my exciting new film blog!

Hello friends and film lovers
After hundreds and hundreds of films over the past 3 decades and much film banter, critique and recommendations, I thought it was about time I started this blog. I will start to list my 'must see films' as well as blog reviews from any film I see from here on. I look forward to your being part of my blog community, your comments and feedback on all things FILM!

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Broken Embraces


Ever since I saw Pedro Almodovar's Talk To Her I've been under the Pedro spell. This film so moved and inspired me, it was quickly added to my 'top 10 must see films' and I've been holding out for an experience of the same intensity every since. So you can hardly imagine the anticipation with which I entered the cinema for the special champagne screening of his latest film. Hmmmm, once you've achieved magnificence, there's only one direction to go from there, and unfortunately Pedro is not winning me over with his latest efforts. Some people grow more beautiful talented as they age and Penelope Cruz is such a eye pleaser, it's easy to be distracted by her and abandon your care for the story. However, when I found myself shifting in my seat 3/4 through, and then getting myself ready for the inevitable twist, I started huffing and puffing a bit about the tedium and mechanics of it all and I could be distracted no longer. This film has some lovely imagery, panting, sweaty embraces and the always delicious Spanishness that makes me want to immediately run away to drink red by the Spanish sea side. But it's not Pedro's finest and while I still hold out hope to one day be moved to heaving tears, I wouldn't rush out to see this one. 1 for Spain, 1 for Penelope and 1/2 for the main guy who had a twinkle in his blind eye - 2.5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment