The Graduate

The Graduate
Must See film No. 1!

Welcome to my exciting new film blog!

Hello friends and film lovers
After hundreds and hundreds of films over the past 3 decades and much film banter, critique and recommendations, I thought it was about time I started this blog. I will start to list my 'must see films' as well as blog reviews from any film I see from here on. I look forward to your being part of my blog community, your comments and feedback on all things FILM!

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Grey Gardens


Geez I love a good doco and this is a 'dramatisation' of the making of a 1975 doco about a very unique mother and daughter, so I was immersed and entranced by Grey Gardens from start to finish. Big Edie and Little Edie Beale came from high society so the only way is down once the man of the house bails and Big Edie's kids all move out of home. Little Edie, played with such vigour and not a touch of vanity, by Drew Barrymore, slowly but surely gets sucked into her Mother's needs and lifestyle. And before long the two of them are living amongst raccoons and cats in the family home which becomes so decrepit and disgusting that visitors have to cover their mouths when they enter. Thing is, Grey Gardens is who they are so there'll be no moving these two. They are discovered when a film crew follow their cousin - Jacqueline Bouvier (Kennedy) - who with much horror visits the house and does her best not to puke at the front door. The film makers didn't have to do too much convincing to get the cameras up to the room where the Beales co-existed - Little Edie after 50 years still had dreams of being in showbiz so saw this as her big chance. This movie will put some to sleep, but I found it totally compelling and will be watching the original 1975 doco in the coming weeks if anyone is interested in joining me. 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment