The Graduate

The Graduate
Must See film No. 1!

Welcome to my exciting new film blog!

Hello friends and film lovers
After hundreds and hundreds of films over the past 3 decades and much film banter, critique and recommendations, I thought it was about time I started this blog. I will start to list my 'must see films' as well as blog reviews from any film I see from here on. I look forward to your being part of my blog community, your comments and feedback on all things FILM!

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A Single Man


Most films produced these days for mass audiences have lots of action, crazy effects, high drama or over the top humour. Sometimes the combo is just right (eg The Hangover, Pineapple Express) but mostly 'blockbuster' films spoon feed the audience and sometimes the result for me is much tisking and huffing and puffing due to the cliche and predictability (eg Avatar, Couples Retreat) Anyhoo, A Single Man is at the other end of the spectrum. Immaculately art directed by fashionista Tom Ford, it has elements of Man Men, The Graduate, a pinch of Wes Anderson creepyness and lots of aesthetically pleasing moments. The story is simple, played out over a single day, but alot can happen in a day and our single man experiences intense feelings, numbness, emotions, hypersensitivity, lust, memories, grief, hope and love on this big day. I was completely sucked in and relished every moment of this film. Colin Firth should have got the Big O. And Julianne Moore as always, is elegant and messy all at once - which is a great art to master (I try...) Movies like this don't come along very often so I can't recommend it highly enough. But for those of you who love blockbuster/action flicks and find 'internal' films a bore, give this one a miss. 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment